Packed my bags last night, preflight…

And I think it’s going to be a long long time…

For my crocheting fans, or indeed, anyone who has ever moved house, have you ever stood back and really LOOKED at the amount of stuff you have???

Especially… and not to put too fine a point on it, the amount of YARN you have??


Holy Hell.

I have mailed home over 120 kgs of clothes and yarn.

And learnt that you should not joke about that being two people’s bodyweight when carrying lots of little packages. People get suspicious.

 I have a suitcase (of moderate size) and a Navy-issue dufflebag. And my laptop. And Jorge. To take on the plane.

And this where I have some sad news.

Laptop no go.

Laptop dead.

I am hoping that something Lazarus-like can be done home in Canberra!!!

So my entertainment options tonight are somewhat limited. I have packed ALL of stash 3. I have already finished the second version of the Alyssa Shawl in mohair. I have the stripghan for Arcadia’s hatchling as entertainment for tonight and tomorrow, when in Brisbane (we have a detour overnight in Brisbane – more about that tomorrow!) and otherwise I am reduced to using the computer room here in the Camp. Which I swear to all the wool demons in the world, has only two settings on the airconditioning – Cold and Suspended animation.

 I am FREEZING!!!!

But being in here today has already presented me with the solution to a problem.

I have mentioned before: I am very fond of aboriginal artworks and have been collecting a piece from each area (Darwin and Jabiru). Here I am in Arnhemland, the quintessential aboriginal area and I haven’t been able to take the time to go to the communities to actually buy any artwork.

And I don’t have a car…

And I felt pretty rotten about this. I wanted a nice piece from a family from here.

I walked up to the front office this morning to come into the computer room, and there was…

an Aboriginal family in the office, with works that had been commissioned for the dining room.

I admired and discussed the meanings of each work and told them I was disappointed at having missed out, and also that I didn’t have room for the bark paintings now in my luggage. The works here are often on slabs of eucalyptus bark.

One woman held my wrist, in the way they do, and said “Wait, sister”. An exchange of the local dialect later, one of the men drove off and came back twenty minutes later…

with a canvas of turtles feeding for me.

It is lovely and simple and she sat and explained it to me, the turtles swimming amongst their food. I will post a photo later tonight.

But I was very flattered to receive it!!

But I am now ready to leave… I want to get out and take some final photos – the grasses are all in sedd and they’re lovely in the evening light.

So thats me out for now…

Will come back later when I have a jersey on – it’s cold in here!!!

Not as cold as it’s going to be when I’m home in Canberra!!!!




~ by SB&C on May 24, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: