Ouch! Ouch! New Pattern Itchies
It happened yesterday – and it hasn’t happened for a while – actually, last time it did – I stayed home from work all day just to make it and that was two years ago.
Oh my god.
I printed it out.
I carried it to the Monday lunch group with me. I high-lighted it. I stroked it.
I was pretty sure – and this will stun and amaze all who know me – that I had enough yarn to make it. What’s more: In the Stash, and I wouldnt have to buy anything to make it.
Once I was home, with a slight side track to pay the vet for her stitching of injured Alfred the Alpaca…and everyone who expected feeding was fed, and the fornicating Alpacas (not actually fornicating at this time) were checked, I was finally at liberty to stash dive.
Which was reckless as I was alone, and there is the potential for cave ins.
Are you ready for this :
The cream wool I had in mind was quickly located (which again, will probably stun and amaze everyone) but this is where the wheels came right off. Actually – you can see it in the photos: if you can see the green plastic bag on top of the cones on top of the cardboard box? Just to the left there’s a cake of yarn balanced – that was the reject!
It wouldn’t work for the pattern. It lacked the sheen of a “finished” yarn, being more a Fisherman’s type yarn.
Hrrrrmmmm. Slight Puzzlement.
Never fear – I have at least three other kinds of cream/natural coloured 8ply – worsted Wool in bulk, in Stash – somewhere.. in the Stash.
Which is entirely true – and what’s more I found them…. and a quick check of the pattern (which, I’ll mention, was tucked into my bra) also had the doors fall open in a humourous way: I didnt have enough. and chances were the dye lot (yes.. even ‘natural’ yarn has dye lots) would not match.
I did the math on how much it would cost to go and buy the yarn that I would need and my heart caved a little.
This was when I saw, in one of my drawers, what can only be considered the most beautiful sight a Woolpig could ask to see….
And it was just beautiful.
There was some fiddling with hook size to get enough drape and “standup factor” needed for the raised stitches, but that is all part of the fun.
Once all the technicals were done, I settled down with the pattern to make the first square – and omg… I am still in love.
I wanted desperately to make this my travelling pattern but a) it’s silk, b) it’s cream silk which is likely to be unforgiving of dirt, c) involves counting (not conducive to driving), d) I want it to be an entry for upcoming shows and e) there’s not a Snowcone’s chance in hell that if I have it with me that I will get any work done.